Wednesday, September 10, 2008

School Days

Sa-wat-dee-kaa from Thailand. We are all safe and sound here, we've had a couple of inquiries from our friends that follow world news about our safety with the political unrest here. We are fine, the only way we have been affected is our sea shipment may be delayed because of strikes on the dock, which is frustrating. Currently we have 8 wooden, outdoor, hard chairs with 2 outdoor wooden tables and three beds that are still wrapped in plastic. We're anxious to receive our stuff! It seems the protesters have been protesting for weeks demanding the Prime Minister step down from his position and there had been a stand-off. Two days ago he was put out of office because of a conflict of interest-apparently he had been doing a TV cooking show on the side and that was a good reason for him to leave, while saving face which is of utmost importance here. So we will see what happens from here on, it's front page news and there has been nominal amount of violence in Bangkok. Mark is there all this week for business and said his hotel feels very safe and far removed from all the activity around the government buildings.

Thank you for praying for us while he is away. I've had to place all my fears at the feet of Christ and I just picture God's angels perched on the walls surrounding our home, guarding us in all our ways. I love Psalm 91:9-10-Because you have made the Lord, who is my refuge, even the Most High, your dwelling place, no evil shall befall you, nor shall any plague come near your dwelling. Our air-conditioners are loud enough that I wouldn't hear anyone, anyway! Each room has it's own air unit, that's why you see homes listed and it says 8 air units-just different.

Today, was an eventful day as I attended my very first PTA meeting! I was promptly recruited to be the secretary of the group, the only requirement being that they needed an English speaker that doesn't mind taking notes. All other positions were filled and they very enthusiastically welcomed me. The PTA board consists of women from the Netherlands, Brazil, Venzuela, Korea, Japan, Thailand and now me, the US representative. I never in a million years pictured myself serving on a PTA board. There were about 100 people at the meeting of all nationalities, I love that. It takes longer than normal PTA's (I assume) because a translator is provided for the Korean, Japanese, and Thai contingencies.

So far, I'm at the school about twice a week and get to see the boys. Today, we all rode in together as the meeting was at 8:30. Dustin and Nathan seem to be adjusting very well to a 'real' school. Dustin ran for Student Council representative for his class and there was a tie, he will serve the Spring semester. Dustin and Nathan are both trying out for basketball, I think the team will be weeded down to 12 in a few weeks. Nathan just amazes me, he really wanted to play even though I was encouraging him to be the team manager. I just have to let him try whatever he thinks he can do and help him if and when failure occurs. I admire his courage and determination. In the Thai culture it is a known fact that they stare. Nathan doesn't seem the least bit affected that many stare at his gait, I just pray that in Nathan's weaknesses God will be made strong. Dustin is also playing soccer on the Jr. High and High School team at the moment. They asked him to try out for the High School team and we
will see if he makes the cut. Remember, this is a very small school, 400 total students from K-12. They both are playing brass instruments in the marching band, Nathan the trombone and Dustin the french horn. They are also participating in the jazz band, and taking drama and Spanish. They are busy but seem to enjoy it.

Now my little guy has not had as easy of an adjustment, he has had some tears. About two weeks ago he got off the bus and said, "Mom, I had a mental breakdown today." He apparently just burst into tears during class and said he couldn't stop. His teacher called Mark at work just to make sure he was aware. I think he was more embarrassed than anything. He said he heard some boys talking in their language and heard his name come up later. His words, "Jibberjabber, jibberjabber, Ethan, jibberjabber."
Later that night he mentioned that he was thankful for a note I had left in his desk that he found during class and I asked him if he found the note before he started crying and he said, "Yes." and started crying again and then I started crying. He conveyed to me that he really misses just us staying at home together, that nothing feels normal, nothing feels like home, no one speaks his language...it's a big transition. Yesterday he had after-school soccer and had to ride the bus home without Dustin and Nathan. He called before getting on the bus crying and he really couldn't tell me why. I offered to talk to him the entire ride home on the bus but he recovered after a few minutes and was fine when he arrived home. If you think of him please pray for him.

I do think it was the best decision not to homeschool here, I have my plate full trying to adjust to a third world country and don't know that I would have had the energy to homeschool and it would have been so isolating. I haven't met one other homeschooler here in Pattaya, I did meet two in Bangkok and they participate with a co-op. The school has provided us an instant community and a great exposure to the Thai language, among other things! We just pray that they will resolve in their hearts to stand up for God and his glory.

6 comments:

Kristy said...

Oh, I just want to squeeze Ethan. I'm praying, praying, praying for you all.

The Nash Family said...

Poor Ethan! Are any of your new friends boys at the same school? Glad the other two are doing so well though. Ethan just needs a little time!

The Northcutt's: said...

Thanks so much. No, the Clarkson boys go to the British school. He is making friends though, there are about 6 little boys that eat lunch together and he loves playing knockout at recess. I just think it will take some time as do his teachers.

Crystal said...

dustin and nathan do so much they make me seem really unproductive. Poor Ethan. He'll get there

Laura Miller said...

Max and I will pray for Ethan and your family today... Max had a hard time when he changed in 1st grade from a class of 17 in a private school of about 200 to a class of 27 in a public school of +1000. I know how hard it is for him, if you can have any play dates that may help out... I am so sorry, I know it is hard, I think he is really brave, remember the verse I can do all thinks through Christ who strengthens me!

Becca said...

oh! sweet little ethan! poor guy thats how ifeel when im somewhere new too! :-) and give nathan major kudos for trying out. His strength and soul amaze me! i am glad to hear all is well though! love ya!