Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Working Woman

Well, I've temporaily re-entered the workforce. It's been a long time since I've donned the ole' nursing cap but I'm dusting it off and filling in for the school nurse this week at the boys school. One day during a PTA meeting I let it slip that I'm a former nurse, a couple of weeks later the nurse was sick and I received a call asking if I would cover for her. Khun Noom had to visit her mother this week and I agreed to work all week. So far so good, there have been no major emergencies and for that I'm really thankful. I've mostly had lots of boo-boos, a couple of High School students that suffer from insomia and HA and just need an hour to nap in the nurses' office or the Infirmary as they call it here. I did have a nasty scissors cut yesterday and a sprained ankle. It's been rather boring and the days seem to crawl by but I am not complaining. The most difficult thing so far has been spelling my little visitors' names! I don't really desire a lot of excitement and have been brushing up on my snake bite and heat stroke treatments. It is so hot here right now and many poisonious snakes call Thailand their home. There is even this crazy lizard in our area that clamps its teeth onto its victim and will not turn loose, the best way to get it to disengage off of a body part is to cut off its' head. Our friends near the school have seen several of these reptiles in their yards.

I've been riding the bus everyday with the boys and that has been enough excitement for me, driving in Thailand is a whole new experience and it is so disheartening to hear some of the kids language on the bus. Today I was talking with God while I was riding on the bus just verifying that He is in control of our time here and led us to this particular school, this bus route...again asking him to protect the boys as they are faced with many temptations and persecutions daily.

I have 3 more days until my nursing commitment is finished, let's hope it continues on the same course of mosquito bites, headaches, sprains and boo-boos that Khun Da can handle!

No comments: