Saturday, December 26, 2009

Olympia, Italy

Cruise-Day 2

We boarded a MSC cruise excursion bus headed for Ancient Olympia, the first site of the Greek Olympics early on Monday morning. It’s warming up as we continue south on the Mediterranean Sea. Everyone, except for me, have been sleeping well in our spacious, balcony rooms. Last night the seas were a little rough and woke me up. It gave me lots of extra prayer time to the ONE who controls the seas. I contemplated how Peter must have felt in the stormy waters in a small boat and empathized with his and the other disciples fear. We are in a HUGE ship and I feel unsettled as we encounter the white capped water and sea winds. I am making a concentrated effort to keep my eyes on Jesus when I feel fear at sea.

I enjoyed seeing the coastline of Greece for the first time as we drove to Olympia. We landed at the port of Katakolon. The land reminded us all some of Texas, the numerous, olive trees are similar to the mesquite trees of Texas with only small rolling, barren hills. Even though many, many olive trees were destroyed in a arsonist, fire in 2007.

We toured the ruins of Olympia which consisted among other things the sanctuary of Zeus and the ancient stadium where the Olympic games began. Dustin, Ethan and Mark raced across the original start and finish lines in the earthen stadium that once seated 50,000 spectators where the first recorded race took place in 776 B.C.! Dustin smoked them! In ancient times they would have had to run totally nude and I would not have been allowed in the stadium being a woman. We were happy on both accounts!

After visiting the ancient site we went to a Greek restaurant for a traditional meal and dancing. The meatballs were a hit with the boys, the pickled octopus-not so much! It was a great start to our 10 night cruise.
Click to play this Smilebox scrapbook: Olympia, Greece
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox scrapbook

No comments: