Friday, March 12, 2010

Tennis


I competed in a tennis tournament today with 16 other ladies of Pattaya. This is the second time I've played with this group. About 6 weeks ago they called and were desperate for another player, as they couldn't fill up their roster. They usually play on Mondays and Wednesday mornings which is the worst possible times for me to join them because on Monday I have Bible study and Wednesdays are usually busy with my bakery obligations. I skipped my Bible study time to help them out last time and my partner and I came in 5th out of 8 teams. It's luck-of-the-draw, they put the participants names in a hat and just draw out teams. Today the tournament was held on Friday. I was excited to play with these ladies again but was dreading the heat. It is the 'HOT' season in Thailand and it is really hot. (Hotter than last year, I've caved and actually turned my air-conditioner on a couple of times during the day. Usually we only run our units in our bedrooms at night.)

I had a sweet 25 year old partner, Gob, from Thailand and she was great. We came in 3rd! but it was HOT. One lady had some heatstroke symptoms but recovered after getting in the shade and rehydrating. The next tournament won't be until next October when hopefully the weather will be a little more tolerable. These ladies are all really good, I have got to find more time to play. I hadn't even picked up a racket since the last tournament and it showed!

There are two ladies that play named Khun Dang (dang in Thai is red) they always sign up as Dang #1 and Dang #2. Today, I told them to just call me Dang #3, my face was RED!!!

1 comment:

Crystal said...

that sounds like a lot of fun. glad u took the time to play. so ur next vaca i think should be to NC. what u think? lots of culture here