Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A School Library



Yesterday was an exciting day at the primary school I volunteer at every Tuesday. I've been working with Esso's Public Affairs team here requesting that they help this new, small school get a library. They came through in a big way and the school was presented a check for their library yesterday!! I am so excited for these kiddos.

It all began from my morning walks in the neighborhood. I watched as this new, colorful school was being built anticipating its' opening. It's located about 1km from our house and I thought that I might could help out there somehow. Shortly after it opened, I took Nok to translate and talked with the administration about my coming and doing some reading with the preschoolers every week with some basic English teaching. They just kept asking, "For free?". After a few Tuesdays the principal asked if I would be willing to come everyday? NO!! but it was sweet for them to ask!

There are few books in Thailand even in this school. Books are expensive here! I am passionate about books and the importance of children learning to love to read. The children are so enthusiastic each week when I bring colorful, fun books into their classrooms, and now because of Exxon's generosity they will have access to lots and lots of books!!

No comments: