Saturday, December 13, 2008

Holiday Happenings

Yesterday was a busy day. My parenting Bible study had their holiday party combining it with a 'Good-Bye' party for three of our ladies. Apparently that is what happens every Christmas and May around here-lots of Good-byes. I already don't like it! Most companies arrange their transfers for the Christmas break or after a school term. Khun Lek is one of the ladies we said good-bye to yesterday. She was one of my first Thai friends and I'm really going to miss her. She is moving to California to live with relatives because she wants her two daughters to have more opportunities in America. She has been such an encouragement to me here, a fast friend, that always had a smile for me in the halls of the school. She has tried to help me with my Thai language difficulties and teach me about some Thai cultural issues. She laughs with me a lot and always says 5-5-5 in her emails. (In Thai 5 is Ha! It took me a while to catch on to her joke.) She is a new Christian and it has been such a joy to have her participating in our Bible study, she is full of joy and hungry to grow in the Lord. I hooked her up with Natalie Connell, a friend that is attending college in L.A.. Natalie attends a church that actually has a Thai outreach, but we're not sure how far the church will be from Khun Lek's new home, but it gave Khun Lek much comfort to already know another Christian in the L.A. area. I'll post pictures from the party, it was a sweet time of singing carols together and praying for the three ladies that are leaving. Yesterday one of the Japanese ladies, Nobuko, is a trained opera singer and she blessed us by singing Ava Maria. Then we all enjoyed our potluck lunch. The combination of food is just amazing, Japanese, Korean, Thai, South American and American food. Every week I get to experience some new culinary treat.

Last night, I decided to host a party for our new Thai friends. I was nervous, what would we do about the language barrier and would anyone come? We had a good group and I'm kicking myself because I was busy playing hostess and forgot to take any pictures. I especially wanted you to see the floating candle decorations Noik, my housekeeper made for the pool, it really made it seem festive. Noik and her entire family came, MaNoon-her husband, her Mother, her three sons and one nephew. Songkran, our driver came. Mark's secretary-Suchada and her husband came, my tennis coach and his wife-Khun Toy and Khun Poot, and most of his students came, 5 of them. I try to play at least once a week, and I've been playing Champoo some, she's 12 and I've yet to beat her. Well, she came and her little brother Danny who is my one fan. He cheers me on when his sister and I play. He's this chubby,short, 7 year old who will yell, "Khun Da!!" when I make a good shot. Lena, our Thai teacher came. Wandee, the Thai caretaker of Mrs. Trula who goes to our church, came. Lee and Sheryl, our neighbors, attended with their two boys and finally our pastor and family-Daniel and Marina. They have lived here 13 years and are missionaries to the Thai people from South Africa and pastor the small International church we attend. It was so great to have them here because they speak fluent Thai and English. It turned out okay!! We had just enough people that could translate I don't think it was too uncomfortable. We had lots of food, thankfully Noik brought some Thai food because that went fast but they seemed to enjoy the Western food too for the most part. The vegis and dip-not so popular, I've got a lot of celery left over! Celery is imported from California, and most of them had never seen that green, crunchy monster before! (That's what Mike, Mark's brother calls celery. I think the Thai people would agree if their response to it last night was an indicator!)

It was funny last night, Suchada, Mark's secretary wanted a tour of the house. She just laughed when she saw all of Mark's boots in our closet. She said everyone asks about Khun Mark's boots!! I've asked Mark if anyone had commented on them and he said, "Surprisingly, no." Suchada said that everyone asks her why Khun Mark wears boots all the time and they didn't know they were going to have a cowboy boss!! No telling everything Mark misses in the translation!

Suchada has been such a blessing to us, she has tried to help make our transition so much easier. She is a very efficient secretary and has been so helpful to Mark and I. She mothers Mark, making sure that he has lunch delivered daily to his office. She worries that he never takes a break and usually just eats at his desk. She orders his lunch daily and Mark totally leaves the menu up to her. She was telling me last night how amazed she is that Mark is so easy going and likes all Thai food,"even spicy food just like Thai people! so lucky for me that Khun Mark so easy to please!"

Okay, what do you do with a house full of people that can't communicate easily and no alcohol is involved-you play Spoons!! I tried to think of something we could play that would require little explanation. We had a really great time, after all- laughing is the same no matter what language you speak. 5-5-5-5!

3 comments:

Crystal said...

SPOONS!!!!!!!!! Joronda u rock. U didnt rip any out of someones hands like u did me in the DR did u? Your dangerous. You are so busy. When u get back to the States i'm gonna get u to plan my parties since u have so much experience. Spoons....that made my day right there.

The Northcutt's: said...

Crystal, you are so funny. I'm afraid Thailand may never be the same, after introducing Spoons to Southern Asia, it will probably spread like wildfire, be a drop in TV usage, Thai people across the country consumed with spoons but it will have a new name here-Chorns!!

Crystal said...

chorns is appropriate cause when ppl play they tend to grow horns! Just think of the legacy u r leaving around the world!