Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Planting Seeds



A friend recently shared this video and I want to pass it along to you all. I feel a great responsibility to be mindful of the work that God has for us here in Thailand. I know it is no mistake that we have been moved to Thailand and I pray that God would help me be faithful to share my faith and always be ready to give an answer of the hope that is within me.

I'm excited that my housekeeper, Nok and I are reading through the Bible together. With the new Thai/English Bible that I purchased on board the Doulos we are learning together. We had initially agreed that we would start in Mark but she wanted to start at the beginning, so we are in Genesis.(Right away she wanted to know how to pronounce Genesis, she learned several things about our English 'G' yesterday) It will be a slow process, our goal is to read and discuss one chapter a week. Nok is reading the Thai side then the English side to better her English skills. She told me that she read Chapter 1 three times on Monday evening. We had a very profitable talk, she really has no knowledge or belief of the beginning but agrees that there must be a God, "look at all this" she commented as she points in our yard at the trees, grass...we know that even the creation speaks of a creator. "Ever since God created the world, his invisible qualities, both his eternal power and his divine nature, have been clearly seen; they are are perceived in the things that God has made." Romans 1:20

We weren't even officially discussing the 1st chapter, we've set aside time on Friday mornings for that. But already yesterday we had a talk about God or PaJaou in Thai(I will learn so much too!), using His name in vain, prayer-she prays a set prayer every night before going to bed, she couldn't explain to me what it meant but told me that only when she goes to the Wat for special ceremonies does she ask for personal requests. I explained to her that prayer is a constant thing for me, that God tells us to pray without ceasing-that as we have been talking I prayed, "Lord, help me know how to better share your Word with Nok and be a good teacher for her." That I have a relationship with God through Jesus and can talk to Him whenever and wherever....Nok can not put into words that I can understand 'who' she prays to, if she know who she is praying to.

What a great thing-Nok is so open to learning, it really is a miracle in itself that she can read and has the understanding of English that she does. She is so eager, pray that God will use me and help me to teach Nok. I love Nok, what a blessing she is to me and I know that it is no mistake that God placed her in my life here. I think this is my biggest 'job' here (besides taking care of Marko and the boys), to live out Christ and be ready to give an answer of the hope within me to Nok and our driver, Songkran. I count it a privilege to live in Thailand and being used to spread his gospel here in a small way. Pray for me that I will be faithful to plant the seed knowing that God will make it grow! 1 Corinthians 3:6

3 comments:

The Reader said...

definitely praying for you, may you be a blessing to all those you encounter. I know that you will be, as Jesus is so visible in your countenance, always.

Crystal said...

awesome

Unknown said...

I'm praying for you my friend!