Saturday, May 14, 2011

29 and Counting!

Today, Mark and I celebrate 29 years of marriage! We had a special night at a nearby resort in a beach side, private, villa. So many times we look at each other and exclaim, "We live in Thailand!" It was a beautiful setting to spend some time reflecting on our marriage and to just get away, the two of us.

Our marriage has been anything but 'normal' from the get-go! We married on a Friday night, spent our honeymoon in a business suite (a 10 place conference table....fancy!!!) in Amarillo on our way to Mark's summer job in Pampa, TX.

We moved into our 25 foot travel-trailer on Sunday. Monday when Mark returned from his first day of work there was a huge tornado headed for our little home. We jumped in the car and just started trying to drive away from all the destruction. Over 12 tornadoes were sighted that night, millions of dollars of damage was done but our tiny home was untouched. Maybe that was our first indication that this journey together wouldn't be anything boring!!!

I thought in honor of our 29th wedding anniversary I would list 29 reasons that I love Marko.
#1-I love that he loves the Lord and tries to live his life honoring God.
#2-He's an amazing Dad and always has been, he was right there on diaper duty, taking the night shift when the kiddos were little, giving me lots of needed time away...
#3-I love his laugh
#4-I so appreciate what a wonderful provider he has been.
#5-That he can do ANYTHING he puts his mind to-write a poem, a song, draw a picture...
#6-So thankful that he does our finances and makes sure that I'm cared for today and for forever. That he is a great steward of the money God has given us.
#7-That he can fix anything-so thankful that his Dad and Grandpa trained him when he was young to do house repairs, automotive repairs...
#8-That he loves and cares for my parents.
#9-That he is so unassuming and humble-he feels no need to ever 'put on airs'.
#10-He is the most unselfish person I know-really
#10-He doesn't need or want the approval of man, he is very secure in who he is.
#11-He thinks the best of people-always.
#12-He has an amazing work ethic-doesn't use the company phone for personal use, doesn't do personal emails on his blackberry, hasn't had a sick day in 27 years...
#13-He is a hard worker-he likes hard, physical, labor. I'm thankful he isn't slothful.
#14-Protects his eyes-he doesn't even have his own Internet access and will use mine on occasion to look at basketball scores.
#15-He wants and allows me to be the woman in our relationship (Mark said, "Well, I don't want to be the woman!!!)-he kills bugs for me, empties mouse traps, opens biscuit cans....I like being taken care of!
#16-He's my go-to guy for any spiritual matter-finding a verse, needing wisdom.
#17-He loves to sing the praises of God. He leads the music at our little church because no one else has volunteered. His joy of singing is infectious.
#18-He can laugh at himself-if he gets lost, stumbles over his own two feet....
#19-He likes to play games.
#20-He always puts his family above himself, sacrificing his time for us. I can remember times he has 'played' with us during the day and then gone into the office at night to complete work he had to do.
#21-He likes to travel, to see and experience new things.
#22-He's just as happy with a sandwich as a 4-course meal.
#23-I've never known him to tell a lie or even exaggerate a truth.
#24-He doesn't snore!
#25-He is willing to try anything new-like a new, weird, food.
#26-He appreciates my advice-on how to dress, to a delivery of a company speech.
#27-That he can keep a cool head when dealing with teenage boys, I can't remember more than 3 times he has ever raised his voice to our boys.
#28-I love that he is so smart-he can talk about most historic events, do any kind of math problem...
#29-I love that he is all mine. He is my one and only, there is much comfort and security doing things the Lord's way. I don't feel like he ever compares me to other women...I'm thankful for Marko!and the 29 years of marriage we have had together.

No comments: