Saturday, May 28, 2011

Thai Teacher Appreciation Brunch


Today I invited all of the Thai teachers I work with at the neighborhood school for a brunch at our home. The new school year for Thai schools began two weeks ago after their long Songkran holiday. These are the teachers I've been working with the last two years, reading once a week to the students in their classrooms.

Nok helped me host them to a brunch with Thai and Farang food. During the brunch they asked if I would be willing to teach an adult, English speaking, class to all the teachers once a week. We are about to leave for the states in a month but I will consider it in August when we return. Dustin and Nathan have to accumulate 150 hours of CAS hours for their IB program that they begin in August. CAS which is Community Action Service hours. Nathan expressed some interest in teaching the English classes himself which would go towards the CAS requirement. God continues to open doors at this nearby school.

They presented me with a basket of 'things'. One of the items said-Essence of Chicken, it was a green liquid with a putrid smell. Another bottle said-Bird nest with sugar? It was a white gelatin. I passed on the basket to Nok, she said they are items for good health. She tried to explain that they actually use portions of a bird nest and liquefy it? It was just a little strange but that's all relative. The staff all looked at my pimento cheese sandwiches as if they were a bit strange too!!!

No comments: