Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Couple of Things


Well, I did it!! I drove myself to 7-11 last night. It was my first time to even set in the driver's seat of our new car, only 5 weeks or so after purchasing it. A situation occurred that needed me to drive for the first time. You might think it's a simple feat, it's not. First, you have to remember which side of the car to get into, then everything is backwards-the stick shift, the clutch, the blinker, the windshield wiper controls. It's just strange to be changing gears with your left hand while working the clutch with your left foot, takes a little getting used to. Then you have to remember to drive on the left side of the road on top of all of that, but I did it!! We had music practice at our house last night with the two guitar players from our church while Mark had a work, conference call. Songran, our driver was here when the first person called from 7-11 saying they couldn't find our house. I was just hoping the second one could find his way but after we had sent Songran home for the night about 45 minutes later the second guitarist called and was lost too. The language barrier is so difficult in person but when you are trying to communicate directions over a cell phone, it is almost impossible and our street has no sign markers. I'd love for you to send me your suggestions for a street name. We have discussed some ideas with our other US neighbors but nothing really struck us. We could just hand paint a sign with a name and stake it in the ground marking our street. I don't know how long it would last but it might save us some trips to the 7-11 to rescue people and lead to our house. I made it to 7-11 without incident and quickly found the guy needing directions-he was one of 20 on a motorbike but the only one with a guitar and wife. His wife-Queenie needed to borrow some serving dishes from me so when they left they were on the motorbike with their guitar and 4 serving dishes. I thought at one point I'll just do a posting with all the unusual things I've seen people hauling around on their motorbikes, I've seen some crazy stuff on the streets of Thailand.

The other thing I wanted to let you know about is the situation with Nong. Thanks to you that have asked and prayed for this situation. We gave a 'gift' to Noik and let her decide how she would use it, hopefully, she gave it to Nong to help with her debt? But this allowed us to be somewhat removed from the whole messy details. The mornings that I have seen Nong at her hut, when I've been walking, she has been really friendly and happy to see me. This morning I passed her hut and home and everything was closed-up tight. Of course, the dogs were there guarding the place, this was the first morning one of the 5 didn't bark and come check me out.I assume they are getting used to the farang that passes by every morning. Noik told me later that Nong called her in the middle of the night and said she had been beaten by some man with a stick and she was leaving for South Thailand, "running away to South Thailand." were Noik's exact words and she doesn't know when she can come back. She asked Noik to feed her dogs. I'm sad, I've been praying for God to intercede and soften the hearts of the people that she owes money to. I'm worried for her and I will miss seeing her every morning on my walks. Please keep praying for Nong.

Okay, that's a couple of things for now. You'll have to wait a little longer for decorated house pictures(Janette!) maybe after the weekend if we get some more things hung up on the walls.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Wow, that motorist holding a TV is crazy! Ha ha...some of those sightings would make a great post!

I'm so sorry about Nong...I'll pray!

What are some of the street names you've come up with?...maybe you could have some choices and do a poll on your blog! (I'll teach you how. :))

Miss you all!

The Nash Family said...

WooHoo, I got a mention on the blog! Now get that house finished, and show me some pictures lady!

LOVE YA!