Tuesday, October 7, 2008

What to Wear?

In Thailand they have an interesting system to help determine what one should wear every day. On Mondays, most people wear yellow in honor of the King. Tuesday is for pink, Wednesday has been determined to be for green, Thursday you want to wear orange, Friday blue in honor of the Queen, Saturday-violet and Sunday is for red. I had noticed that many people were dressing in the same colors especially on Mondays and Fridays but I didn't know it was anything predetermined until a couple of Sundays ago. I still pick out all my guys clothes on Sunday and it seemed we were on an orange theme. I really was wondering if any of my guys would notice, they didn't! We were setting waiting for church to start and I leaned over and asked Nathan if he saw a theme in our family for the morning, he couldn't figure it out until I pointed out to him that all of us were dressed in orange. After the service several people commented on our dressing alike, one of them being our pastor who asked if we knew that orange was officially for Thursdays in Thailand? He believes that the color-coordinated days has some origins in the Buddhist religion, if anyone knows please fill us in. The following Monday as Songran and I were driving around I got the whole color schedule from him.(It took a while to figure out what in the world he was talking about when he was explaining Saturday was violet, he has never heard of purple!) Songran always seem to honor the King and Queen by dressing appropriately on their days but today he was wearing navy on the pink day. I wonder if it's something they teach in school, at the Wat, or all the color rules are passed down generation to generation? Just another interesting Thailand thing I've learned about.

3 comments:

Sally said...

Weird. Although it would make picking out what to wear a bit easier! We are thinking of naming our girl Violet and I just love seeing it and hearing different places!

Crystal said...

like a big middle school click

laurie said...

hey jo,
i love the whole color concept! reminds me of the liturgical church where colors are changed according to the church year. i've always thought that was such neat symbolism. so cool to see it in another culture...and to such extreme. i love it!!