Thursday, October 16, 2008

Walking in Thailand

Many of you have related that you would like to see more pictures. I thought that I would post some pictures from my daily walk. It's always interesting what I might see or whom I might encounter every morning. I've taken to always carrying a stick because of all the dogs along the way, I don't think they like white people much, or maybe it's the way I smell. Someone told me that Thai people think Americans smell like cheese!! Not too flattering!!

Speaking of smells, the last few days my walks have been almost pleasant smelling with the mango trees blooming and this morning I found a really beautiful type of honeysuckle. It had red and pink blossoms, I snipped some off to hopefully transplant in my yard. The unpleasant smells can be overwhelming at times, I pass this one area every morning where there are people out eating breakfast and the smell of cow dung there is just overpowering. I can't imagine how they can eat with that smell present. I've had to use mouth-breathing on several occasions. There is a fruit here called Durian that is just the worst, it is a real delicacy and I always try to avoid it when I see it in the market or grocery store. For me the smells of Thailand have been one of my biggest adjustments. For Ethan and Nathan they have voiced it is the language barrier. Ethan had his parent/teacher conference yesterday and he got teary-eyed when he read his letter to us in front of Mr. Martin. It read, "Dear Mom and Dad, So far in grade five I feel that I don't like Thailand because I miss my friends in the USA, I wish I could speak the language, and all the stuff is different." Last night over dinner we were asking the boys what is it that they miss about the US. Ethan said, "Being able to understand everybody." Nathan said, "Me too and I miss my friends." Dustin is content. Mark is overwhelmed! Last night he mentioned that there is just so much to do at the refinery he feels overwhelmed, I'm encouraging him to just take one step at a time.

As hard as the transition has been, we can see God's protection in bringing us to Thailand. As some of you know, we thought we would be transferred to the Chicago or Singapore area. Since Mark received his 'marching orders' there has been a fatality at each of those sites. It is very disturbing and sad for the organization, we are grateful that Mark has been spared that experience so far. We pray for the protection of all the Thailand refinery workers and for wisdom for Mark as he seeks to implement positive change and make a difference here. I'm thankful I get lots of praying time as I walk about Thailand.

2 comments:

Curtis and Lavon said...

Nothing is more overwhelming than your children voicing true heart feelings--so happy that your family is close and can share deep feelings. I am so thankful you have the place to walk and pray!! I miss my daily walk to much, just don't feel safe anywhere near where we are to strike out on my own. One thing I will get back to doing---Love you all!

Kristy said...

Thanks for all the great pictures! I loved seeing your walk! I wish I could come walk with you! Your last post on the poor was excellent...I'm feeling very rich as I sit here on my couch...being waited on hand and foot practicaly! Praying for you all as you continue to adjust!