Sunday, August 24, 2008

Church Day

We had planned on visiting Grace Bible Church of Pattaya today, we had scoped the church out and located it two Saturdays ago, it really is the last on our list.Sadly, for a city this size, estimated at 1.5 million with the huge ex-pat population, we have only found 3 Protestant churches. Two of those churches are easily less than 100 attendees. It's been difficult to find information about this church but the lady we had spoke to that lived beside the church assured us that the services were conducted in English. We had planned for our new friends the Clarkson's to meet us there. We were disappointed upon arrival to learn that the services are in Thai only and the pastor who was Thai but spoke impeccable English directed us back to the International Church of Pattaya that we attended last Sunday. So all 10 of us walked in late at the International Church, I did a head count, there were 39 people there this morning. So one fourth of the congregation was late this morning! It's always good to be in the house of the Lord. Isn't it amazing how so many times you feel like the message has been especially tailored for you? That was the case this morning, the pastor spoke from 1 Peter 5:6 & 7 and casting all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you and he combined that with Isaiah 41:10, "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." I needed that word from God this morning. One night this week, late at night this indescribable spirit of fear came over me. It felt almost palpable and a little overwhelming really. Mark was gone and I was trying to go to sleep and suddenly I felt this oppression of fear upon me. Fear that I was so far from family and friends, that I really don't know too many people here, that I don't know the language, that we are amongst so much wickedness,worry about what the boys are facing...It was weird, I don't have any idea where it came from. I had to cry out to God and just cast all that fear upon Him. I confessed the fear as sin, knowing that no matter where on earth I may be, the Lord is right there with me. Psalms 55 brought me comfort, "Listen to my prayer, O God, do not ignore my plea; hear me and answer me. My thoughts trouble me and I am distraught at the voice of the enemy, at the stares of the wicked; for they bring down suffering upon me and revile me in their anger. My heart is in anguish within me; the terrors of death assail me. Fear and trembling have beset me; horror has overwhelmed me. I said, "Oh, that I had the wings of a dove. I would fly away and be at rest-I would flee far away and stay in the desert; I would hurry to my place of shelter, far from the tempest and storm. Confuse the wicked, O Lord, confound their speech, for I see violence and strife in the city. Destructive forces are at work in the city; threats and lies never leave its streets v.16 But I call to God and the Lord saves me. Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress and he hears my voice. He ransoms me unharmed from the battle waged against me, even though many oppose me. v.22 Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall. v.23 But as for me, I trust in You." After some time and comfort from Psalms I was able to rest, the heaviness was gone and the spirit of fear gone. So you can see why the message was for me today. The pastor also quoted Charles Spurgeon that we trust God with our eternal soul, can't we trust Him with this physical body?

I met more of the congregants today, there are 5 people that fellowship there from the Philippines, that are here teaching at a Thai school. I initially thought they were Thai, I think there is only one Thai family that attends this church. A Ladies Bible study will begin in one week, they will be studying Beth Moore's study of Daniel. It will be great to participate in that, it has been years since I've been able to attend a Bible study during the day. Did I tell you all that I attended another Bible study that meets near the boy's school, they are studying, 'The Power of a Praying Parent.' There were 17 ladies in attendance, it was so encouraging and what a pleasure to study with so many different nationalities, about 9 different countries represented-Indonesia, Korea, Japan, Australia, Canada, Thailand, China, Peru and America. I couldn't understand some of what was being said but would just pray for the person sharing if that was the case. They meet every Friday. I'll close for now in peace as I am continually casting my cares on Him.

2 comments:

Vivian said...

Ohhhh! Daniel, that's my favorite book of the bible. Daniel was that Jewish dude sent to dwell in a foriegn land. He wouldn't/couldn't comprimise with sin, no matter what.

Well, I'll spend my daylight hours praying the angel of the Lord encamps arond you. For fear, stand on Isaiah 54:13,14.
"All your sons will be taught of the Lord; and the well-being of your sons will be great. In righteousness you will be established; you will be far from oppression, for you will not fear; and from terror, for it will not come near you."
He is faithful,
Vivian

Debbie G said...

You have GOT to do the Daniel study. It is so good! I did it at church and then did it with the girls for school last year. I know you will be blessed by doing it.

I continue to pray for you and the boys. Thanks so much for the blog updates - it gives me direction in my prayers for ya'll.

Love ya!

Debbie